Imagine being asked to write a screenplay, where you get to choose all the characters, the adventure, the emotion and the romance. Now write yourself as the leading role, the star of your own movie. What does that look like to you? What choices would you make or not make? What sort of character would you be? Who would you fall in love with? It’s an interesting concept isn’t it and one you can have a lot of fun with!
Well in reality, you are the main character in your own life story. Granted, you haven’t been able to choose your family or how you were brought up as a dependent child however, as an adult you can write a brand-new story to star in. The thing that holds most people back from starring in their own life story is they allow others or the world around them to take centre stage. Question is, how can you write your leading role when the world around you feels like a controlling, power mad director?
Here are 5 principles that will help you feel like an A-lister!
- Choose yourself. Give yourself permission to do the things that you want to do. We live in a world where we’ve been taught to not speak unless we’re spoken to, to politely wait our turn or wait until somebody else gives us the things we want. Don’t wait! All we have is now and choosing yourself will motivate you to get out there and get going with your story.
- Work on your self-esteem. Take time to find out what makes you feel good and do more of that. Don’t wear clothes that make you feel less than good, don’t have friendships or relationships with people who make you feel less than good and don’t do a job that you hate getting up for in the morning. Society has taught us to sacrifice and settle for less than we want. Stop giving your control away and reclaim it for yourself. After all, it is yours.
- Be genuine. Being true to ourselves leads to happiness. We all wear many hats and our true identity can sometimes get a little lost whilst juggling the different supporting roles we sometimes have to play. Reconnecting with your true self each day and being true to yourself will enable you to keep writing the next chapter of your story in an authentic, beneficial way. If you don’t know who you are and what you like, take steps to find out.
- Be confident. You are not a passive character, just there to fill in the scenes. You are in control always as the writer and star of your own life story. It’s true, the story can take an unexpected turn but how you respond to any twist or turn is down to you.
- Be creative. If your story feels a little boring then step out of your comfort zone, no leading star plays it safe all of the time. Try something new, introduce new characters into your story by making new friendships or try making a different choice than you normally would. I’m not advocating you do anything illegal or life threatening however there are no rules! Society has fed us with suggested rules such as, we must get a ‘sensible’ job, buy our own home, have children, get married, live in the country we were born in, stay in an unhappy marriage etc but the truth is these are rules that others have suggested and may not fit with you. Write your own rules for your own life story.
- Silence your inner critic. We all have that inner voice that questions our motives and decisions, leading to self-doubt and worry however, we are in control and we can choose whether we silence it or give it power by listening to it. Pursuing a life that makes you happy and helps you to experience this opportunity of life as you would like to experience it, does not make you selfish or uncaring. You can care for others, be kind-hearted and loving yet still pursue what makes you happy. Doing so is the greatest expression of love, as you are being true to yourself and others by presenting them and yourself with the best version of who you can be.
Choose your own adventure!